Monday, March 17, 2008

Top o' the mornin'!


Many of you know that the name of my house is the Shamrock. It is a sign that has been in the family for many generations (I think I am the forth to own it). The sign has been moved to each of our camps or homes that were on Worthley Pond. My house is the first time it has lived on someones year round home, and this year I am proudly displaying my Leprechaun flag (please ignore the dieing Christmas decorations on the porch, it has been a long and cold winter). Although I just found out the St. Patrick's day was officially Saturday, due to the fact that it fell during the same time as Holy Week (see more info below), I am still going to wear my green and shamrocks proudly today, and finish off dinner with a beer. Well I think that good ol' wikipidia sums up the holiday festivities well with the following summary: "Celebrations
  • Attending Mass
  • Parades
  • Wearing shamrocks
  • Wearing green
  • Drinking alcohol"
Wikipidia informed me that sometimes the celebration of St. Patrick's day is moved so that it does not fall during Holy Week. "The date of the feast is occasionally moved by church authorities when March 17 falls during Holy Week; this happened in 1940 when Saint Patrick's Day was observed on 3 April in order to avoid it coinciding with Palm Sunday, and is happening again in 2008, being observed on 15 March. March 17 will not fall during Holy Week again until 2160." Although I know that St. Patrick's day is a lot more involved than just green clothes, shamrocks, and corn beef, for most Americans it a fun day were people of all backgrounds can pretend to be Irish just for a day.

Enjoy ~SJ

No comments: