Thursday, March 13, 2008

French Women Don't Get Fat

I have been making my own yogurt for many years now. I made the switch from "store" yogurt because I don't really like how sweet the store stuff is, and I like to know what is in my food. Many people think I'm nuts to through all of the work to make yogurt for myself, but I can tell you, once you make the switch you will never go back.

Yogurt is actually a very simple food to make. If you follow these simple steps you should come up with an amazing food that you will be addicted to quickly. I use a yogurt maker which is a little plastic incubator that keeps the mixture the correct temperature for a desired length of time. There are many other methods that do not use a machine, here is a link to one such method.

Ingredients
4 cups milk
1/2 cup powered milk
1/2 cup yogurt




Heat milk and powered milk over a medium heat stirring occasionally until just before it boils. Just before the milk boils remove it from the heat and place the pot in a cool water bath. Cool the mixture to around 120 degrees F. Once mixture has cooled carefully stir in yogurt. Place into yogurt maker for desired length of time. The longer you leave the yogurt in the more tart the product. I usually leave mine incubating between 8 and 12 hours.












Heating milk, and then the mixture sitting in water bath cooling.


After doing a little research for this blog I came across a book that I have been wanting to read. It is French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guliano, wikipedia had the following to say about her book: "In 2005, Mireille Guiliano released her best selling book, French Women Don’t Get Fat, in which she touts yogurt as her secret weight loss weapon. In her novel, she campaigned for Americans to discover the benefits and pleasures of homemade plain, non-fat yogurt, as opposed to the sugar and corn syrup-laden ‘imposters’ found in most U.S. supermarkets." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogurt)



So far, no major weight loss on this French-Canadian woman, but I will keep on trying.

Enjoy ~SJ

No comments: