Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Laura Turner To The Rescue!

This past Easter Sunday I decided to go out on a limb and make biscuits instead of the family favorite and staple, Parker House rolls. The recipe that I use has been in the family for multiple generations and belongs to my Great-Grandmother "Grammy Pick-Pick", Dell Falardeau cousin Laura Turner. According to my mother Laura Turner had a camp at Worthley Pond near the narrows, and Grammy's was near the outlet. Both of these woman were accomplished cooks, making everything from pies to doughnuts. Grammy Pick-Pick and Laura Turner would take turns hosting dinner for each other throughout the summer. When Laura hosted dinner she would make her famous biscuits, when Grammy Pick-Pick hosted she made the Parker House rolls.

Laura Turner's Biscuits
(Grammy Falardeau's cousin)


2 cups flour
1/2 cup shortening
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/4 teaspoon salt
Enough milk to form dough

Roll out onto floured surface; cut with cutter and bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes.
















I have to admit that I like the Parker House rolls more, but only make them for special occasions such as holidays and family gatherings. I make the biscuits as a regular supplement to dinner.

Enjoy ~SJ

1 comment:

Beth said...

Those look yummy.