Tuesday, July 1, 2008

SET!

I have been playing the Set game off and on for several years now. I learned about it while visiting some friends in Cambridge with my childhood friend Katie (I was picking her up from a flight back from Hungry and she suggested visiting some people she knew and Cambridge. I thought it was just going to be dinner, well a few days later we came home. Such a classic "Katie" trip!) I play it both in my own life, as well as in my classroom. So far I haven't run into too many people who don't easily get addicted to this game. There are two different ways to play, the traditional version with cards or an electronic online version. Unlike cribbage, I think that both ways are a great way to play. So the long and short of it is, if you don't already play Set, you should give it a try. It is a great way to get your mind working in the morning, especially if you don't like crossword puzzles (like me)!

Here are the rules that I got off the New York Times website.

A 'Set' is 3 cards in which each individual feature is either all the SAME on each card... OR all DIFFERENT on each card. That is to say, any feature in the 'Set' of three cards is either common to all three cards or is different on each card.
The Features are:

Symbols: Each card has ovals, squiggles, or diamonds on it; Color: The symbols are red, green, or purple; Number: Each card has one, two, or three symbols on it; Shading: The symbols are solid, striped or open.

I have found two different places on the internet to play, the official Set website and the New York Times. The great thing about the puzzle on the New York Times site is that you can play at two different levels, thus making it easier for beginners. The official Set website has only one level.


Enjoy ~SJ

No comments: