Monday, July 7, 2008

Everything In Moderation

My tongue has been in some pain for the past few days. Mostly it has the big red bumps on it, and sometimes when I eat it stings. The Music Man, with all of his worldly wisdom, suggested that I was allergic to strawberries! He has this little test that he knows about involving holding your arm out and pushing up while another person pushes down on your arm. Then you repeat the whole process again, only this time you hold the suspect item in your fingertips. If you can not push up as hard as you could before, than chances are you are allergic to the item you are holding in your hand. This test uses the principles of kinesiology and the work of Dr. John Goodheart extended from Chinese medicine. The website linked above gives a more detailed tutorial in how to perform muscle testing.

"Muscle testing, a tool from applied kinesiology that allows one to identify allergies, both food and environmental, that are harming someone’s body.

Kinesiology is the scientific study of human movement, while Applied Kinesiology is an alternative method of medical diagnosis that employs muscle testing ; it was originated by Dr. John Goodheart in the 1960s. Dr. Goodheart found that muscles in the human body instantly became weak when the body was exposed to allergens or harmful substances. Aside from Dr. Goodheart, chiropractors and acupuncturists built on the foundations of Chinese medicine to further develop kinesiology, which can be a very accurate system for balancing the body’s energy and returning it to health. Muscle testing has become the key tool of Applied Kinesiology in which allergens and harmful substances are identified by placing pressure on specific muscles".

So after several days of this weird bumpy stinging tongue the Music Man decided to perform the muscle test on me. Sure enough, when I was holding the strawberry with my fingertips I immediately weakened and could not push as hard. We concluded that my bumpy stinging tongue must be caused by my excessive strawberry intake over the past week. (I promptly ate the strawberry in my hand and immediately felt the stinging tongue sensation).
Now you might not know this about me, but I love strawberries. For the past few weeks I have been picking a lot of strawberries, freezing them, and have made some amazing food with them. So, for now, it is everything in moderation. I am going to stop eating them for the next few days, and then only consume them in smaller portions.

3 comments:

The Buck Shoots Here said...

I have never heard of this, but I believe the Chinese and their medicinal theories helped me begat Boy and Girly (infertility story there for another day) and so I trust them before most Western docs. There are a lot of people who develop strawberry allergies, so it's not unheard of... but it is a bummer of an affliction. My sympathies!

Beth said...

This is the worst allergy that I have ever heard of. I'm so sorry. Soon we will be on to blueberries and raspberries, though, so maybe your body can recover before next year.

KL said...

I was taught that the medicine originated in India.

It was a sad evening for strawberries at the pond, so much for SJ's all strawberry diet..........and her new diet book she started to write.

Fruit is not getting it's "just desserts" from those who live at the Shamrock............how could anyone hate peaches so much???